What to do if your passport is lost or stolen while abroad?

Losing your passport or having it stolen while on holiday is a traveller’s worst nightmare. Although the situation is serious, it’s not the end of the world if you follow these simple steps:

1. Report It to the Police

Before you do anything go straight to the nearest police station and file an incident report. You will need a written police report for The British Embassy and for your travel insurance provider.

2. Go to the Nearest British Embassy

Once you have filed a police report, head to the nearest British embassy to get the necessary paper work. This includes an LS01 form, which cancels your current passport and prevents thieves from using it for identity theft – one of the fastest growing crimes in the world. You will find a full list of embassies and location-specific instructions around the world on the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) website.

3. Emergency Travel Documents

In the event of an emergency like your flight home leaving that afternoon, travel documents can be issued for those who need to fly home immediately. For an emergency passport to be issued, you will still need some form of identification and a police report – for security reasons. This is not a replacement passport though – it will only be valid for your flight home.

4. Travel Insurance

Certain travel insurance policies will cover your passport in the event of it being stolen. Make sure you know what coverage you are getting before purchasing a travel insurance policy – especially if you need specific cover for your passport.

5. If you loose your passport before going on holiday

If you lose your passport while still on British soil, log on to the Direct Gov website for a full list of instructions.

Remember to pack your cheap holiday insurance! Don’t forget to pack your cheap holiday insurance, you can get an instant quote and immediate cover by going online to 24/7 travel insurance. A 3-day break in Europe will cost you only £4.23*

* Premium £4.23 includes Insurance Premium Tax based on an adult aged under 55 taking out a “Standard” Single Trip 24/7 travel insurance policy for 3-days in Europe excluding personal possessions cover and purchased within 14 days of departure date. Cover details and prices are correct at time of going to press (February 2011) and are subject to change.