Backpacking overseas is a great adventure. You get to see another land and enjoy backpacking at the same time. You are in for an adventure of a lifetime. You will experience a new culture and new terrain. The foreign lands with their ancient pasts bring surprises and breathe taking experiences. If you are fairly new to traveling overseas then there are some things you should be aware of so you can have a flawless trip.
- Make sure you understand the local laws and customs. This is important because the last thing you want to do is to cause offence and end up in trouble.
- Make sure you have everything you need to travel overseas and get into the destination country. You should check with both countries to ensure all of your paperwork is in order.
- You should check to make sure the map you are taking is current. You do not want to plan a backpacking trip in an area that has recently been changed from wilderness to a shopping centre!
- Fill in your family on all your plans. This is even more important when travelling.
- Have a travel ‘back-up’ plan for if your travel arrangements get messed up by weather or some other unexpected event. Be sure you have an alternative plan in place so your trip is not ruined.
- Do not let your mind get clouded by the fact you are backpacking and that is familiar to you. You are still travelling to a foreign land and need to be as cautious as you would if you were just going for a visit, not to backpack. You have to plan out your trip and be smart about it.
Even though you are going on a backpacking trip you still need to understand the basics behind safe travel abroad. Here are a few last tips:
- Leave valuables at home.
- Hire a local tour guide and always travel in a group or with at least one other person.
- Stick to public areas, do not try to venture to unknown areas. You never know what types of problems you could run into.
Finally, don’t forget your backpacker travel insurance!You can purchase great value backpackers insurance direct at 24/7 travel insurance.
For a 2-month trip to Oz, will cost you just £18.93* – a small price to pay to really enjoy your backpacking adventure all the more!
*Premium £18.93 includes Insurance Premium Tax based on an individual aged under 36 taking out a Standard Backpacker 24/7 travel insurance policy for 2 months in Australia. Cover details and prices are correct at time of going to press (November 2009) and are subject to change.