Sunburn is not only uncomfortable, over time frequent sunburn can contribute to premature aging of the skin. Don’t let sunburn ruin your holiday, follow our tips on how to avoid sunburn…
- Limit outdoor activities between 11am and 3pm, plan to do your outdoor activities like golf, swimming and exploring in the early morning or late afternoon.
- If you feel like you’re burning, stay out of the sun completely.
- Beware of cloudy days, clouds can scatter sunlight. You can still burn even on a cloudy day.
- Wear a good pair of sun glasses and a hat for your head. While sunscreen is effective in preventing sunburn, clothing does an even better job of blocking the sun.
- If you are among those likely to burn, use a sun block with a SPF of 15 or greater. The higher the SPF, the greater the protection.
- Apply sun block at least 15 to 30 minutes before venturing out into the sun and re-apply at least every two hours especially if you have been swimming.
- Use sun blocks with higher SPFs on areas that need extra protection like the tip of your nose, your ears, the tops of your feet, and your shoulders.
- Protect your children. Keep them from excessive sun exposure when the sun is strongest and apply sunscreen liberally and frequently.
- Sand and water reflect UV radiation, which means being in the shade under a beach umbrella does not provide complete protection.
- Check with your doctor to make sure that some of the medications you are on do not actually make you more susceptible to sunburn.
Remember to pack your cheap holiday insurance……for complete travel protection!
You can get an instant quote and immediate cover by going online to 24/7 travel insurance.
A 3-day break in Europe will cost you only £5.32† – a small price to pay for peace of mind protection whilst you are away!
† Premium £5.32 includes Insurance Premium Tax based on an adult aged under 55 taking out a “Standard” Single Trip 24/7 travel insurance policy for 3-days in Europe excluding personal possessions cover and purchased within 14 days of departure date. Cover details and prices are correct at time of going to press (June 2010) and are subject to change.