If you’re off on a skiing or snowboarding holiday this winter season then read on for our essential safety tips to avoid any mishaps on the slopes…
1. Wear appropriate clothing and safety gear
Wrap up warm on the slopes and make sure you have all the necessary equipment like a good helmet to keep you safe when skiing. Remember to double check your ski equipment before using it to ensure it is in working order.
2. Stick to the slopes you are comfortable with
Whether trying out a new resort for the first time, or returning to an area you are familiar with, it is imperative to feel safe on the slopes. This may mean a starting out on an easier run to begin with, until you feel ready to try the more adventurous runs.
3. Ensure you obtain adequate travel insurance to cover for any mishaps on the slopes
Whilst a fun activity, skiing can be a hazardous sport and it is imperative to have sufficient travel insurance should anything go wrong. Make sure you carry your documents with you at all times so that you are not refused help if you have an accident on the slopes. It is also important to check your policy to ensure that you are adequately covered, particularly if you are planning to go off-piste.
4. Check the weather conditions
Before hitting the slopes, it is wise to check the predicted weather conditions so you are not caught out or put in danger by any unexpected snow storms.
5. Don’t over indulge in après ski!
Although it is tempting to have a tipple or two at lunch time, the high altitude can affect your reactions to alcohol. Be wary of this when treating yourself after a morning of skiing. If the inevitable happens and you need medical treatment, being under the influence of alcohol could invalidate your insurance.
Remember your 24/7 wintersports travel insurance…
It is not just medical emergencies that wintersports travel insurance can protect you from financially – policies may include:
– cover for stolen or damaged ski equipment
– baggage loss
– piste closure
– personal liability
– loss of ski passes
– medical repatriation
So check your wintersports travel insurance cover carefully to avoid being left out of pocket!
Travel Insurance with wintersports cover can be purchased for just £9.21* at www.247travelinsurance.co.uk – a small price to pay to be able to really enjoy your wintersports holiday on the slopes!
* Premium £9.21 includes Insurance Premium Tax, Personal Possessions cover and Wintersports cover. Based on a ‘standard’ single trip 24/7 travel insurance policy for one adult aged under 55 travelling to Europe for 3 days. Policy purchased within 14 days of departure date. Cover details and prices are correct at time of going to press (November 2010) and are subject to change.