With scores of Brits expected to visit popular skiing destinations this season, it is imperative to keep safety at the forefront at all times. No matter how seasoned the skier, there are certain guidelines that should be adhered to, to ensure a safe and enjoyable on the piste experience.
1. Wear appropriate clothing and safety gear
Wrap up warm on the slopes and make sure you have all the necessary equipment to keep you safe when skiing e.g. wearing a helmet. Double check your ski equipment before using it to ensure it is all in order.
2. Stick to the slopes you are comfortable with
Whether trying out a new resort for the first time, or returning to an area you are familiar with, it is imperative to feel safe on the slopes. This may mean a “back to basics” approach to begin with, until you feel ready to try the more adventurous runs.
3. Ensure you obtain adequate ski insurance to cover for any mishaps on the slopes
Whilst a fun activity, skiing can be a hazardous sport and it is imperative to have sufficient ski insurance should anything go wrong. Make sure you carry your documents with you at all times so that you are not refused help if you have an accident on the slopes. It is also important to check your policy to ensure that you are adequately covered, particularly if you are planning to go off-piste.
4. Check the weather conditions
Before hitting the slopes, it is wise to check the predicted weather conditions so you are not caught out or put in danger by any unexpected snow storms.
5. Don’t over indulge in après ski!
Although it is tempting to have a tipple or two at lunch time, the high altitude can affect your reactions to alcohol. Be wary of this when treating yourself after a morning of skiing. Also, please be aware that any incidents where you are under the influence of alcohol will not be covered.
Cover for winter sports can be obtained from reputable travel insurance providers including P J Hayman (the company behind 24/7 travel insurance) which offers both single trip and annual multi-trip policies with winter sports cover, to ensure you get the right protection whilst on your skiing or snowboarding trip.
Information on 24/7 travel insurance including getting an instant quote and immediate cover can be obtained via the website: http://www.247travelinsurance.co.uk/. A 3-day winter sports holiday in Europe will cost you only £8.29*!
* Premium £8.29 includes Insurance Premium Tax based on an adult aged under 55 taking out a “Standard” Single Trip 24/7 travel insurance policy for 3-days in Europe with winter sports cover excluding personal possessions and purchased within 14 days of departure date. Cover details and prices are correct at time of going to press (December 2010) and are subject to change.