Every year holidays are ruined because of accidents, illness or theft. Those travelling without holiday insurance can find themselves left with huge bills to cover hospital costs or emergency repatriation home expenses – bills that can amount to hundreds or even thousands of pounds. To help you have a safe trip, here are some helpful travel tips…
1) Check out any risks associated with your destination – visit www.fco.gov.uk/travel and www.gogapyear.com
2) Check what vaccinations you need at least 6 weeks before you go – visit www.dh.gov.uk
3) Get the right holiday insurance – make sure it give you the cover you need and covers you for the all the activities you want to do. 24/7 travel insurance automatically covers 70 activities as standard!
4) Make sure your travel insurance policy is up to date, valid for the entire trip and covers everyone who is travelling.
5) Complete the contact details at the back of your passport for your next-of-kin or someone who can be contacted in an emergency.
6) Make sure you have enough money for your trip.
7) Do your research – find a good guide book and get to know your travel destination.
8) Get a valid European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) for all members of your family. Remember, this should not be used as a substitute for your travel insurance cover as it does not provide cover for repatriation to the UK or baggage and cancellation benefits.
9) Look after your possessions and important documents.
10) Make a note of your travel insurance’s 24-hour Emergency Medical Assistance Service telephone number and keep it with you at all times.
Holiday insurance is a must!
When buying your holiday insurance, don’t assume that every policy is the same. Your needs may be different from others, so make sure the policy you buy provides the cover that you require. Read the small print, check the level of cover and ensure you are covered for any activities that you want to undertake. Carry your travel insurance documentation with you on holiday and keep the 24-hour emergency medical assistance number on you at all times along with your policy number. Get an instant 24/7 travel insurance quote, for just £5.91* 24/7 travel insurance will cover you for a 3-day trip to Europe!
*Premium £5.91 includes Insurance Premium Tax; based on an individual traveller aged under 55 taking out a Standard single-trip policy for 3 days in Europe including personal possessions cover and purchased within 14 days of departure date. Cover details and prices are correct at time of going to press (June 2009) and are subject to change.