EHIC – still need travel insurance?

The answer is ‘Yes’ to ensure that you are covered in the event that you need to be repatriated and also for other unexpected occurences that may happen whilst you are travelling abroad, EG losing your personal possessions, your legal liability if you accidentaly injure another person or damage their property, or if you have to claim for compensation and damages from another person arising from or out of your death or personal injury.

The European Health Insurance Card (or EHIC as it is called) entitles you to reduced -cost, sometimes free, medical treatment that becomes necessary while you are in a European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland [FYI – the EEA consists of the European Union (EU) countries plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway]. But the EHIC gives you access to state-provided medical treatment only. Remember – this might not cover all the things you would expect to get free of charge from the NHS in the UK. You may have to make a contribution to the cost of your care.

Travelling to Australia? – If so you can enrol in Medicare which will entitle you to subsidised hospital treatments and medicines. You can do this by contacting a local Medicare office in Australia.

Remember: The EHIC is no substitute for comprehensive travel insurance!