When it comes to choosing who to go backpacking with, you have two choices. Either travel with others or go it alone. It’s usually pretty easy to meet up with a group of like-minded backpackers when you’re travelling alone.
Just the thought of travelling solo scares some backpackers as they worry what could happen to them while being so far away from home. The loneliness and vulnerability of being on your own for long periods of time is certainly not for everyone but in reality, a solo backpacking adventure provides many surprising advantages that may be appealing to some travellers, like:
- The pace at which you travel can be as fast or as slow as you like. You can set your own schedule.
- You are more easily accepted where ever you go. For example, finding accommodation is easier as you can take the last available bed in a hostel.
- You will be more approachable. People are usually more hesitant to approach larger groups of people. You’ll be surprised how many people approach you when you are travelling by yourself.
- You have more time, space and privacy to write in a journal.
- You are less obtrusive in a foreign culture. You will blend in and become enveloped in the local culture rather than standing back and looking in.
- You can easily join other groups of backpackers (if you desire) as you make new friends while travelling.
If you do travel on your own, your trip may cost you a bit more than if you went with someone else. You won’t have a partner or two to share food, transportation or accommodation expenses with (like taking a cab, renting a car or staying in a cheaper hotel).
But on the other hand, travelling solo gives you a great feeling of independence. You are in complete control of your travel experience. It also allows you to travel at any time of the year, when you are able to, rather than trying to coordinate time with someone else. Whether you choose to travel with someone or go solo, you will meet many people as you mix and mingle with locals and other backpackers.
Don’t forget your backpacking travel insurance!
You can purchase great value backpackers insurance direct at 24/7 travel insurance.For a 2-month trip to Oz, will cost you just £18.93* – a small price to pay to really enjoy your backpacking adventure all the more!
*Premium £18.93 includes Insurance Premium Tax based on an individual aged under 36 taking out a Standard Backpacker 24/7 travel insurance policy for 2 months in Australia. Cover details and prices are correct at time of going to press (December 2009) and are subject to change.