There are an abundance of ticket websites out there to help you find the best deal for a flight. There are also additional things that you can do to get more for your backpacking budget…
Here are some top money saving tips:
- Flights are usually cheaper 21 to 45-days in advance rather than last minute deals. You will pay more as your date to leave approaches. Sometimes buying too soon months in advance also makes for higher prices.
- Sometimes unsold seats are drastically discounted 2 days before departure.
- Weekend flights can be expensive. Try to fly on a Monday morning, Tuesday, or Wednesday.
- Try not to fly within 7-days before or after a public holiday. Check your destination’s local holidays and festivals as flights and accommodation will be more expensive.
- Search for flights at all times throughout the day, you never know when a cheap ticket has been released to the system.
- Make sure your luggage is not over sized or overweight. Check individual airline sites for rules, some airlines charge for a hand luggage now.
- Flights with longer layovers usually have lower price tags.
- Early morning ‘redeye’ flights are more painful but are usually cheaper.
- Fly into the largest city on the continent you are visiting. Take budget airline hops or travel overland from there to reach your destination. For instance, it may be cheaper to fly into Brussels (a major business hub) and then get a cheaper flight to Amsterdam rather than flying straight there.
- Use frequent flier programs. It may take years, but the miles do add up and may come in handy in the future.
- Being as flexible as possible can help you find a cheap flight. Do not specify flight times, number of stops, etc.
- Refundable tickets can cost more – your backpacking travel insurance may have trip cancellation coverage.
Don’t forget your cheap backpacker travel insurance!
You can purchase great value backpackers insurance direct at 24/7 travel insurance. For a 2-month trip in Europe, will cost you just £13.52* – a small price to pay to really enjoy your backpacking adventure all the more!
*Premium £13.52 includes Insurance Premium Tax based on an individual aged under 36 taking out a Standard Backpacker 24/7 travel insurance policy for 2 months in Europe. Cover details and prices are correct at time of going to press (February 2010) and are subject to change.