1 in 5 travel without insurance

Almost one in five (19%) holidaymakers are running the risk of having to pay hefty medical bills by going abroad without travel insurance, a survey by travel organisation Abta showed today.

The poll of 2,028 people also found almost a fifth (17%) believe that it is not important to take out travel insurance.

Almost as many (16%) are under the misapprehension that the UK Government will cover their medical expenses, including more than a quarter (26%) of 15-24 year olds.

If you are a student and you are off travelling abroad either on a short city break or further a field, you should pack your student travel insurance – just in case!

If you’re the adventurous type and are planning to take part in activities like bungee jumping or white water rafting you need to make sure that the student travel insurance policy you choose, covers the type of activity you’re planning.

Accidents and illness can and do happen for a variety of reasons and failure to have appropriate travel insurance could leave you or your parents having to pay for high medical bills.

We’ve compiled some handy tips for choosing a student travel insurance policy:

  • Check what the student travel policy covers you for? Make sure adequate emergency medical and repatriation cover is included.
  • Where are you going and how long are you going for? Make sure the policy covers you for every destination and the whole of your trip, including your departure and return dates.
  • If you are going to be involved in any activities, check the student insurance policy to make sure that these are covered. If in doubt contact the travel insurance provider to make sure that you are covered for all your activities – before you go!
  • Declare any pre-existing medical conditions that you or anyone you are travelling with may have.
  • Get a valid European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) which entitles you to free or reduced cost emergency medical treatment in EU countries. Remember, the EHIC is NOT a substitute for travel insurance. For more information and to apply for this card, pick up the EHIC form from the Post Office, call 0845 606 2030 or visit: www.dh.gov.uk/travellers

Don’t forget your student travel insurance!
It is important that you read your travel insurance policy carefully before you go and check your policy for instructions to follow in the event of an emergency or claim. Carry your travel insurance documentation and the 24-hour emergency assistance number on you at all times along with your policy number so you’re prepared for every eventuality!

A 3-day break in Europe will cost you only £4.14* – perfect for a quick getaway during the Christmas holidays!

* Premium £4.14 includes Insurance Premium Tax based on an adult aged under 55 taking out a “Standard” Single Trip 24/7 travel insurance policy for 3-days in Europe excluding personal possessions cover and purchased within 14 days of departure date. Cover details and prices are correct at time of going to press (November 2010) and are subject to change.